Code of Conduct for Open Data Science Events
ODSC was founded to help the global data science community learn, connect, and grow. The open exchange of knowledge and experience, coupled with open source data tools, helps democratize the field of data science and make it accessible to all.
We host in-person conferences, webinars, and virtual conferences open to all participants everywhere. In addition to our conferences, and as part of our goal to democratize data science, we host free monthly meetup events in 60+ cities around the globe.
Regardless of the type of event, we expect all participants to abide by our Code of Conduct to ensure the event is inclusive and welcoming to all.
This code of conduct is based, in part, on the Citizen Code of Conduct. By attending an ODSC conference, meetup, workshop, virtual conference, bootcamp, or any other event as a speaker, sponsor, volunteer, or attendee, you agree to abide by this code of conduct, and to cooperate with organizers who help enforce it.
“ODSC is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of event participants in any form. Sexual language and imagery is not appropriate for any venue, including talks. Participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the event without a refund at the discretion of the event organizers.”
As part of the global data science community, we value inclusivity, diversity, freedom of expression, and fairness in the pursuit of knowledge and learning. Every participant deserves to be treated with respect and dignity and not be discriminated against on the basis of race, religion, disability, country of residence, nationality, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, physical appearance, body size or any other characterization protected by anti-discrimination laws.
All participants are expected to be respectful and considerate of their fellow attendees and be mindful of their surroundings to provide a harassment-free experience. We do not tolerate harassment of event participants in any form. Sexual language and imagery is not appropriate for any venue, including talks. We ask participants to notify a staff member immediately if they are subject to anything that violates our code of conduct or have observed any such behavior. If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a member of the conference staff immediately. Conference staff can be identified by their branded t-shirts. For our virtual events, please notify our chat support team immediately.
Participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the event without a refund at the discretion of the event organizers.
The following behaviors are considered harassment and are unacceptable within our community:
- Violence, threats of violence, or violent language directed against another person.
- Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
- Posting or displaying sexually explicit or violent material.
- Posting or threatening to post other people’s personally identifying information (“doxing”).
- Personal insults, particularly those related to gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, or disability.
- Inappropriate photography or recording.
- Inappropriate physical contact; you should have someone’s consent before touching them.
- Unwelcome sexual attention. This includes, sexualized comments or jokes; inappropriate touching, groping, and unwelcome sexual advances.
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking or following (online or in person).
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior.
- Sustained disruption of community events, including talks and presentations.
- No weapons of any kind, alcohol, or drugs are allowed at ODSC venues.
Conference staff will be happy to help participants contact hotel/venue security or local law enforcement, provide escorts, or otherwise assist those experiencing harassment to feel safe for the duration of the conference. We value your attendance.
We expect participants to follow these rules at conference and workshop venues and conference-related social events.
If you have any queries, please contact email@example.com
Portions of this text are derived from the Citizen Code of Conduct, confcodeofconduct.com and Bocoup Code of Conduct.