Abstract: data.world—the Austin-based data sharing & collaboration platform—has been working with the US Census Bureau to ingest the American Community Survey in new formats (geo coded tabulations and semantic linked data) to help data users enrich analyses with vital US demographic information. An important goal for this NSF-funded effort is to empower more data scientists to use this fundamental source of data and contribute to its development.
This talk will cover:
* Overview of the ACS and its distribution channels
* ACS data currently available on data.world and Amazon Web Services (AWS) Public Datasets
* Linked ACS – overview of semantic web + ACS microdata in linked data format
* Demo of the data.world platform and query tool
* Tutorial on how to upload your own data and link to ACS datasets
Bio: Leonard Fishman (Director, Business Development – data.world). Len oversees business development and partnerships at Austin-based B-Corp, data.world. Before joining data.world, he was CEO and co-founder of two ventures. The first, pledge4good, was a social fundraising platform that he founded while completing his MBA and that was acquired in 2012. More recently, he founded and ran for three and a half years a big data company serving investment funds called Uniqueio. Len has been a speaker at many events including the White House Open Data Summit as well as the OECD’s Global Science Forum. Len earned an MBA from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania and an undergraduate degree in Economics from Duke University.